Monday, July 30, 2007

Initial D Arcade Setup Uses Full Sized Cars


Initial D Arcade Stage 4 Limited (Images courtesy Q-TARO.com)

I’ll admit I’m pretty ignorant at what the anime series Initial D is actually about but I do know it involves cars and is ridiculously popular. So popular in fact that the Initial D arcade game apparently warrants the use of full sized cars mounted on motion simulators instead of a standard gaming cabinet.

The game/simulator can be found at the SEGA Joypolis in Odaiba (Tokyo), Japan and comes in three versions using the actual bodies of a Subaru Impreza WRX, a Toyota GT-APEX and a Mazda RX-7. The game itself plays out on a 90-inch monitor mounted in front of the vehicle and for only $5 (long gone are the days of 25 cent arcade machines) you can cruise around one of three different courses.

Unfortunately since I don’t have any plans to visit Japan in the near future I guess I’m just going to have to wait for the home version to be released.

[ Initial D Arcade Stage 4 Limited ] VIA [ Kotaku ]

No comments: